Monday, January 14, 2013

Hair Breakage break down

Ok so lets talk Hair Breakage.

There are 3 Zones of Hair Breakage

Zone 1 aka Green Zone: Healthy hair (Balanced)

Breakage usually occurs during intense styling episodes.

5 or less on a non wash day and 10 or less broken hairs on a wash day

Zone 2 aka Yellow Zone: Moderate Breakage 

This is the intermediate stage between healthy, unbroken and severe damage. 
 Zone 2 occurs usually occurs do to neglected or misdiagnosed hair ( meaning if you have over protein your hair or vs have a moisture overload)

less than 10 to 15 breakage occur on a non wash day and less than 15 to 20 breakage on a wash day

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Zone 3 aka Red Zone:  Severe Breakage

Damage has gone unresolved in previous stages, or Chemical treatments such as Permanent Color or relaxing hair can cause a Zone 1 to become a Zone 3 almost overnight.

More than 10-15 breakage occur on a non wash day... Hair is all over sink, back of shirt etc.
More than 15-20 breakage on a wash day.

Ultimately there will be some cutting required to usher the balance back to healthy in Zone 3.

Which Zone are YOU???????

All my information was obtained By "The Science of Black Hair"



3 comments:

  1. Im a Zone 3.....OOOOHHHHH why well because I was moisture overload and went over the top with Protein treatment. I mean i was protein conditioning my hair 2x a week for a month. WOW yeah I did that and then when my hair started falling out, CHILD i was like ok what did I do wrong. Thats when I bought this book it is truly my saving grace to my hair!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that book! It's a great comprehensive resource!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is? It's helping me through my hair drama right now

    ReplyDelete